This was patch release on the blogs service to fix a few issues.
We had anticipated that the release would involve approximately 2 hours downtime when the blog service woud be unavailable. In the event the server was only down for around 5 minutes.
Fixes for the following issues were successfully applied:
- Suffusion theme problem with featured posts turned on.
- Message on Create a blog page incorrect for 3 local authorities.
- First time Glow blogs user cannot see the ‘My Blogs’ link on the landing page, even when they have been assigned a blog.
- Regulus Theme: Comments from external uses failing to work.
- Fatal errors when using the Unite theme.
- There was some infrastructure changes to improve performance generally.
We had hopped that the WP-SpamFree plugin would be activated as a site wide plugin that will be automatically activated for all public blogs. Testing before the release showed that activating the spamfree plugin site wide affected performance. Therefore it has been left as a user plugin. This means to be protected from spam you still need to activate the plugin on all public sites that accept comments.
We have started preliminary work on Phase 2, the upgrade to WordPress 4.