Glow Blogs Theme Changes

Cross posted from: Theme Changes July 2015 | Glow Blog Help.

In the Blogs Update Phase 2.2 in April we added three new themes.

We also retired the Spectrum News Theme.

We have now retired the Suffusion theme too.

Existing blogs that use these themes will continue to do so. They will not be able to be selected in the Theme chooser for new or existing blogs. We will turn this theme off completely at a later date it would be wise to change themes before then. We expect Spectrum New to be completely disabled by the end of 2015. Suffusion, being a very widely used theme will be deployed for longer.

Why?

Both of these themes are showing problems with our newer version of WordPress. Features have broken. The updated version of Spectrum News did not work with our multi-site WordPress install and would have required considerable work both now and over the longer term to keep it going. The suffusion theme developer is having trouble keeping it up to date, it is also showing some problems with our new version of WordPress.

We hope to have a few modern flexible themes in a release soon. We are also producing some guidance on moving from these themes to TwentyFourteen: Spectrum News to TwentyFourteen.  Another page covering Suffusion  will be added to the help blog over the summer 2015.

If you are using the Spectrum News Theme we would advise that you look to changing that theme as soon as possible.

Primary teacher. I like blogs, podcasts and the internet. More here http://johnjohnston.info/blog/about/

Tagged with:
Posted in News, Project News
4 comments on “Glow Blogs Theme Changes
  1. Rob Stephen says:

What would be really great is if the Course Press theme could be included. This theme is set up to deliver courses through wordpress.
    I know that this theme is unlikely to meet criteria for inclusion – but no harm asking or dreaming!
    Rob Stephen

• Hi Rob,
      Thanks, no harm is asking at all, I keep doing that;-)
      We did look at trying to get CoursePress into a previous release, but after a brief evaluation we left it out. Hopefully we can look at again in the future? Are there any particular features that you are interested in?

• Rob Stephen says:

Hi John
        I installed CoursePress theme on a self hosted wordpress site.

I liked the facility to structute courses/units/lessons. I am planning a number of flipped maths lessons for the coming session and thought CoursePress would provide a good platform to do this. I would prefer to do this in GLOW rather than a self hosted site.
        best regards
        Rob Stephen

• Hi Rob,
        Thanks for taking the time. I certainly will keep CoursePress in mind and in a list for future consideration. Unfortunately can’t make any promises at the moment especially as to time scale.
        I wonder how far we could meet your needs using Glow Blogs, catagorising,tagging etc? Category=Course, Unit=tag and post=lesson might get some way. drop me an email at gw09johnstonjohn4@glowmail.org.uk if you think we can help.